Sunday, October 7, 2012

10/7/12 - Briefly visiting Facebook, I discovered that Karen Brittle (formerly Pfeil) lives in Charleston.  Karen was on staff with me at the High Hopes Therapeutic Riding Center in Connecticut a couple years ago. What a cool thing if we could get together while I'm visiting the area this weekend.
Karen and I have hooked up.  Yippee! This morning she picked me up and we're headed to Johns Island where she lives and works, only about a 15 minute drive from Charleston.


What a wonderful afternoon we had!  Here are some pics:

Tour of (CATR) Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding where Karen teaches. Lovely land ~ Sweet horses! 

 


Visiting Angel Oak - majestic live oak (Quercus Virginiana), native tree species found throughout the Lowcountry, estimated to be 300-400 years old. Massive draping limbs and wide spreading canopy. This amazing tree is  65' tall and a circumference of 25.5'.  Area of shade 17,000 sq. ft.  Largest limb circumference of 11.5 feet and 89 feet long! WOWZA!

 

Sweetgrass baskets. Watching an artisan weave at Angel Oak, I asked  if I could take her photo.  She said yes to photographing her hands. The grasses to make these baskets come from local marshes.
                                                           The smell of sweetgrass is divine!

Sweetgrass basket sewing is viewed as a gift from God.  The coiled sweetgrass basket is a historically significant example of African cultural heritage handed down from generation to generation, usually learned from childhood.  One of the oldest African crafts in America and appeared in South Carolina during the late 17th century.  In 1997, a historical marker was erected to commemorate the legacy and history of sweetgrass baskets and their makers.The State of South Carolina named Sweetgrass Baskets the official state handcraft in 2006. 


Always wanted to see Spanish Moss up close and thanks to Johns Island it was everywhere! Legend says that it was given its name because the moss hangs like beards and does not harm the trees.  Karen, thanks so much for listening to my ooing and aahhing and constantly stopping to take photos!
 

Yummy lunch on the deck at the Folly Beach Crab Shack.  Fried green tomatoes (delicious ~ I'm definitely a fan!) and grilled seafood platter with wonderful musical accompaniment.



Dialogue between Karen and I at Folly Beach - did you wear your bathing suit? No.
Even though I didn't wear my suit I'll go in just the way I am if its warm enough. WOW! It's perfect temperature! We can't go in together because we have our purses and won't leave them on the beach unattended.  We could walk all the way to the car to unload them and come back.  Then again, we can take a quick dip here and now one at a time. OK, let's do it.................Sure glad we did!



Karen, it was a grand day!  Thank you so much for picking me up, dropping me off and driving us around!  It was a great day of  fun, relaxation and exploration!





No comments:

Post a Comment