Tuesday, October 23, 2012

10/22/12 - Memphis Sightseeing: 
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital & Danny Thomas Pavilion

 
 St. Jude  is a Beacon of Hope!

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital owes its existence to a promise made by Danny Thomas.  As a struggling entertainer in search of answers, Danny turned to St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes.  Danny prayed, "Show me my way in life, and I will build you a shrine."





 
 
 
 

 


 When Danny's entertainment career began to flourish, he contemplated the pledge he had made.
A promise to build  a haven for the helpless where hope would shine light into the darkness.
That promise is the mission that flourishes today.  Five decades later, St. Jude has become the world's premier pediatric research institution.

 
There's No Place Like St. Jude!

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital opened in 1962. Since then more than 20,000 children from across the United States and 70 foreign countries have been treated for cancer and other catastrophic diseases.

 When St. Jude opened its doors, childhood cancer as a virtual death sentence, only 20 percent of children survived.  Through the years of groundbreaking research the survival rate now is 94 percent!  St. Jude is committed to providing unsurpassed patient care and continues to strive for 100 percent survival rate.  

From the moment I entered St. Jude's doors, I realized that I had entered a home away from home.  I never thought I would say that about a hospital setting, although I feel these words I have just written to be true.  

 

Throughout the hospital tour, I witnessed and felt the power of love and genuine care being sustained here.  I walked the halls with the privilege to experience the mighty heart and soul upon which this vision and mission was conceived of and formed.  It was indeed a humbling privilege.  Below are some notes and pics I took:

*Many survivors are now employees of St. Jude.

*Maximum age is 18 for receiving services.  Although, once a patient, always a patient.  If you receive treatment as a child and have need to go back the age limit is waived.

*Most trusted charity.

Patients, staff, and languages come from all over the world.

*Daily operating costs

*No wigs here - crocheted caps are in great demand.

*It costs 1.8 million everyday to maintain its magnitude of operation.

*St. Judes is considered the Holy Ground of Science and Charity.


I enjoyed reading the patient's artwork displayed on the walls in some of the hallways. Check out this poem:


"I'm going to Beach Therapy
Oh, that sounds good.

Oh...... they said
Speech Therapy.

In a particular wing of the hospital, there was the ABC wall where kids are encouraged to express their ailment through art. Remember that game?
A is for __________
B is for__________
and so on through the alphabet.
I'm sure you can guess what V is for.



    Rub the nose, it brings good luck!

Our tour ended at this sculpture of Danny Thomas, where the tour guide pointed out how worn and discolored Danny's nose had become from so many people rubbing it.
 

Danny Thomas was a remarkable being and lived a remarkable life. Gazing at all the photos and achievements in the Danny Thomas Pavilion was a deeply moving experience.

Danny Thomas/ALSAC Pavilion
 
 

"There are two kinds of people in the world.  
The givers and the takers.  
The takers sometimes eat better, 
but the givers always sleep better." 
                                            -Danny Thomas


 Vilma, thank you so much for accompanying me to the Pavilion and accepting my donation of
matted fairy photo prints for the children's playroom area. I pray that these light-hearted uplifting images that I was inspired to create emanate sweet heart blessings to all who gaze upon them.













No comments:

Post a Comment