Sunday, October 28, 2012

12/27/12 - Navigating out of Arkansas was a bit of a challenge.  Somehow I managed to end up in a sleezy looking part of town. My heart started racing with panic wondering...
"however did I get here?"  and more importantly..."why am I here?" My handy dandy GPS has led me astray!  In that moment, I heard spirit whisper, "it's OK, you are exactly where you are meant to be.  You are here so that you can see how different people live.  All of a sudden the fear and separation subsided and the Power of Oneness took over.  I was then able to get out of my car to interact with the locals asking for help with directions. After the fact, I realized there was nothing to fear, only my perspective which reflected separation.

It was stunning 6-1/2 hr. drive from Arkansas to Oklahoma!  As I entered into Oklahoma, I began passing road signs indicating numerous native tribe names, inspired to do some internet research and learned the following sad facts:
Oklahoma was designated by the US government as "Indian territory." This was part of the American policy of Indian Removal. Some eastern and mid-western tribes signed treaties agreeing to move onto reservations in Oklahoma (and Kansas) in exchange for undisputed ownership of the new lands. Other tribes refused or resisted and were forcibly moved into Oklahoma by the US Army. 

The original inhabitants of the area that is now Oklahoma include:

Plains Apache, Arapaho, Caddo, Comanche, Kiowa, Osage, Wichita

Indian tribes relocated into Oklahoma by the US government:

Arapaho, Cayuga, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, Delaware, Ioway, Kaw, Kickapoo, Miami/Peoria, Missouria-Otoe, Modoc, Ottawa, Pawnee, Ponca, Potawatomi, Quapaw, Sac and Fox, Seneca, Shawnee, Wyandotte, Tonkawa, Yuchi

Here are a few pics of my entry into Oklahoma 
 
 

Ah yes...those gorgeous on the road sunsets!

 

I arrived in Oklahoma 1/2 hr. after sunset 
welcomed by the Full Moon ....

...followed by a friendly greeting by Betty, Nate and Chelsea
a bowl of warm yummy soup
and homemade bread
 (the real thing without a bread machine).

Ready now for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment